Lake Como School of Adavance Studies, 30 August – 3 September 2021
Prof. Mauro Giudici
Università degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra “A. Desio firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Romina Gaburro
University of Limerick, Department of Mathematics and Statistics email@example.com
Prof. Alessandro Comunian
Università degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra “A. Desio” firstname.lastname@example.org
Inverse problems appear in several fields of science and technology, including geophysics, bioimaging, material science, etc. and they require specific mathematical techniques to handle ill-posed problems.
While fundamental results on uniqueness and stability of inverse problems have been obtained by mathematicians, other scientific communities seldom profit from these advances.
Instead, practical approaches to inverse problems in geophysics are often based on modifications and generalizations of the least-squares method and possibly on stochastic approaches, e.g., when set in a Bayesian framework. A significant step forward for scientific research in geophysics requires that the theory and application of inverse problems “meet each other” in an open forum where both early-stage researchers and senior scientists are brought together with the aim of sharing their diverse scientific background and expertise in the fields of inverse problems, imaging and Earth exploration.
How to apply:
- fill out and send the form below;
- send us a short CV, where you state your present position (PhD student, Post doc, Researcher, etc.);
- send us a short motivation letter (maximum 3000 characters, including blanks), in which you can also describe your interest in inverse problems;
- send us suggestions for topics or specific papers that you are interested to analyze in depth during the Journal club;
- If you are interested to give a short presentation of your work, please, send us a tentative title and a short abstract (less than 1000 characters).
- Student application: June 18
- Notification of acceptance: before June 30
- Registration (only accepted students): July 15