- To reward outstanding university graduates specializing in areas related to the Energy Industry, SPE Italian Section (Society of Petroleum Engineers), EAGE (European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers) and Assorisorse (Sustainable Natural Resources and Energy) announce the 29th “Gustavo Sclocchi” Theses Award.
- University graduates from Italian universities and Italian nationals graduated abroad who have completed their studies in the period October 1st 2020 to December 31st 2021 (date reported on graduation certificate) are entitled to submit their published thesis for the award.
- The thesis must cover subjects related to Energy: Exploration, Production and Transport of Hydrocarbons Geology & Geophysics applied to Geoenergy Geothermal Energy – Green Refinery Feedstocks, Renewable Sources, Energy transition – Carbon Management and Neutrality, Energy Economics, Hydrogen applications, Circular Economy, Health, Safety, Environment.
- Participation instructions are detailed in this announcement and on the SPE Italian Section, EAGE-SEG Italian Section web sites, http://connect.spe.org/italy/home and www.eageseg.org. Questions can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates must fill the registration form https://bit.ly/sclocchiaward-application2021 complying with the following strict deadlines: Contact information, abstract and electronic copy of the thesis – strict deadline February 28th, 2022 Graduation certificate – deadline before the Award Ceremony in June 2022.
- The Boards of Directors of the SPE Italian Section, the EAGE-SEG Italian Section, and Assorisorse will jointly appoint the Evaluation Committee. The latter is composed by experts in the above-mentioned areas and will select the theses which will be awarded. The Evaluation Committee decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
- The theses will be evaluated and awarded according to the following categories:
A. Master of Science (Laurea Magistrale) theses and Doctor of Philosophy (Dottorato di Ricerca) theses.
B. 2nd Level Master Reports and Bachelor of Science (Laurea di I livello) theses.
- The prize for each thesis under category A will be €2400 (twenty-four hundred Euros) and a Certificate. The prize for each thesis under category B will be €1200 (twelve hundred Euros) and a Certificate. Optional awards for running-up theses will consist of a “special mention” Certificate. Reference to award-winning theses will be published in the «SPE Bulletin» of the Italian Section, in the «EAGE First Break» journal, and on Assorisorse website
(www.assorisorse.org). Theses with multiple authors will be reward with single prize or “special mention” Certificate.
- The total and maximum amount of the prize for both categories is €10800. A maximum of 20 “special mention” Certificates will be provided in total for both categories.
- The Award ceremony will take place in June 2022 in the “Aula Magna” of Politecnico di Milano (Piazza
Leonardo da Vinci) and via online streaming. Winners of categories A and B will deliver a short presentation of their theses. Winners will be notified in due time of the date of the ceremony and of the presentation guidelines.
The candidates shall apply NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 28th, 2022 (strict deadline) exclusively by filling the form available on:
Only the applications received through the online form will be accepted.
Documents to be submitted
a. Contact information E-mail address and Telephone number (mobile)
b. Theses Degree (2nd level Master, Bachelor of Science, Master of Science or PhD.) and Title (in English and,
if suitable, Italian)
c. Document of the date and place of graduation
d. Abstract of the thesis (in English or Italian strictly following the below reported Guidelines)
e. Reference information of the Dean of the Faculty (full name and e-mail)
f. Reference information of the assisting professor/s (full name and e-mail)
g. Complete electronic copy of the thesis, in English or Italian, (accepted formats: MS Word and PDF Acrobat). To submit manuscripts larger than 100 MB, it is necessary to use jumbo mail, we-transfer, drop-box or an equivalent system using the email address email@example.com
BEFORE THE CEREMONY The winners shall provide IBAN, BIC/SWIFT and current address.
Guidelines for the preparation of the Thesis Abstract
- The abstract has significant weight on the evaluation process and must contain:
- up to 800 words
enough information to enable the Evaluation Committee to make a judgment of the content, value,
and impact of the thesis.
Abstract shall be structured with the following paragraphs:
1. Objectives and Scope: state the objectives of the study sharply and clearly, outline the scope and limitations of your work, and point out aspects that have not been well understood yet, which may require further studies.
2. Methods, Procedures, Process: state the approach upon which the thesis is based (e.g., field data, laboratory data, original analysis, or computer work) and how the work has been organized.
3. Results, Observations, Conclusions: provide the major results or findings of the study.
4. Novel/Additive Information: describe the possible applications or the implications of the knowledge provided in the thesis. State what is new in your study, its importance and list the most important innovations or technical contributions in your thesis.